Thanksgiving is a popular time for college students to bring home their boyfriend or girlfriend for the first time. If you happen to be one of these people meeting your significant other’s parents for the first time, I won’t lie to you, it can be intimidating. I promise that it won’t be as scary as you think and we can get through this together!
You know what they say: first impressions are EVERYTHING, so make sure to…
- Bring a housewarming gift. It can be something simple like a bottle of wine or flowers, but knowing that you went out of your way and bought a little something ahead of time will make them like you almost immediately.
- Shake hands and make eye contact. Let’s be honest, no one likes a weak handshake. Make sure to shake the hands of the parents or guardians of your significant other firmly, and make eye contact too!
- Dress well. Okay, you don’t have to be in a suit in tie. They aren’t expecting you to be dressed this nice anyway, especially since you most likely drove or flew a long way. Just try to look as presentable as possible since this is their first impression of you.
Once the meet and greet is over and you’ve settled in…
- Don’t be afraid to start conversations. There’s nothing more attractive to parents than when you initiate conversation with them. Talk about anything- the weather, school, family, the election (just kidding)…
- Bond with his or her siblings. If your significant other has siblings, don’t avoid them. Siblings might feel neglected if your main focus is impressing the parents but their opinion of you and your relationship with them matters just as much! Getting a thumbs up from a sibling to your boyfriend or girlfriend can be the best thing ever.
- Go easy on the PDA. The parents will be thrilled that you like their son or daughter but remember, it’s their first time meeting you and you want to be respectful.
- Offer to help around the house. Parents love it when you offer to help cook or clean or just about anything. It’s a great way to show your gratitude for their hospitality and they’ll really appreciate it!
- Be yourself! Your boyfriend or girlfriend likes you for a reason, and all they want is for you to be yourself. In the end, all you can do is be you and hope for the best.
- Send a thank you note. After all is said and done, send them a good old fashioned thank you letter! It’s a great way to say thank you again for showing you an amazing time and who knows- maybe you’ll get another invite home really soon!
Good luck and go get ’em!